Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Build up your back, boost your self-esteem

        The second time I hired a personal trainer, I wanted to go to the next level.
Photo by http://www.lashinda.smugmug.com/
        After I went over my routine with her, she said: “You are only working the front part of your body – the part that you can see in the mirror. What exercises are you doing for your back?”
        My response: “My back? Why would I work my back? I can’t see it.”
        Trainer:  “Well, what are people going to say when you walk away?”
        I have trained my back ever since, and it has become one of my favorite muscle groups to exercise.
        Back muscles are important because they support the spine and are involved in almost every move that you make. These muscles are important in maintaining good posture.
        Beyond the health benefits, when you develop your back it’s just a matter of time before you get the coveted V-taper or wide shoulder-to-waist ratio. And besides, it just looks so damn good.
        We’re talking backless dresses. Halter tops and T backs.
        So develop a routine that includes working your back muscles. Spend time doing lat pulldowns, the seated cable row and pullups. (Pullups? Yep, pullups. Ladies, you can do pullups – even if it is 10 sets of 1.)

        If you do a back routine two or three times a week, you won’t have to wonder what people are saying when you walk away.

2 comments:

  1. Maybe when I join a gym I can get my back together

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi,
    I have a quick question about your blog, do you think you could email me?
    David

    ReplyDelete