Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Seeking a transformation, making tough choices


He came to me with a simple request: I want you to train me.

At age 19, standing 5-foot-7,  the young man who had been known for his exploits on the basketball court had ballooned to 288 pounds.

He said somewhere in the middle of high school his physical activity had dropped off. College came with a whole new set of challenges. Away from home for the first time, the temptation to eat whatever he wanted was too great. Playing his beloved game of basketball was sporadic at best.

He didn’t say what his tipping point was. But it didn’t really matter.

I want to lose weight. Get cut. Get my wind back. I want to see a difference by the fall. Is that possible?” he said.

This is what I told him, and what I tell all of my clients:

First off, you must have a measureable goal, a target to focus your energy. Losing weight and getting your wind back are good overall goals but they are too vague.

Saying you want to lose 50 pounds and want to run one mile in 10 minutes are measureable goals.

Plus, other things have to change. What you eat and drink is the biggest piece of the puzzle. You can’t feed your body junk and expect it to perform well or look good. Get rid of the junk food and the sugary drinks.

Physical activity is the second biggest piece. You have to exercise on most days of the week. And that exercise has to be intense.

He said he would think about his goals. He agreed to allow me to blog about his training experience.

We took a “before” picture but he is not ready for it to be published.

I am betting that once the transformation begins, he won’t care about the “before” picture. We’ll see.

He also does not want his name used. So from now on, I will refer to him as My Client.


No comments:

Post a Comment